Installing to IBM eSeries X336 using software RAID

I've got the debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso image that I'm trying to install this X336 IBM eSeries server. It all goes well enough until I try to configure the RAID1 config using /dev/md.

My hardware configuration has two SATA drives that I want to run in a RAID1 software config using an /dev/md. I get through the process of configuring the RAID then all the partitions (I even check fdisk to make sure they are there properly). But, /dev/md/0p1 and /dev/md/0p2 device files never get created (even though that's what fdisk shows them to be). So, the installer fails in attempting to format these partitions (no device file(s) to mkfs). Is there any reason why these device files can't be or aren't being created properly? Alternatively, how can I create them manually (i.e., what major and minor numbers to feed to mknod?) so I can get the installer to continue? I don't really care about getting the problem 'fixed' through the release process. I just want to get the OS installed. So, I'm comfortable bandaiding it by creating the /dev/md/0pX files by hand.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Brian Wright (bwdebian@boomerang.com)