sound does not play

I am trying to install Debian Sarge from 14 CD to my brothers
computer. Installation is OK but there is no sound. When I try
to play some sound with 'play sound.wav' nothing happend. No
error reported - no sound on speakers. It does not matter if I
play as user or root.
With 'lsmod' I see that drivers are loaded.
I also tried to install 2.6 kernel (and boot into it) with no difference.

Now I am thinking of using other kernel. Since on Ubuntu sound
work OK I am wondering if it is possible to use kernel from
Ubuntu and everything else form Debian. If yes how is best to
do it. I am thinking of:
- install debin (only base system)
- then istall ubuntu kernel and headers (will need them for
     compiling modem driver)
- install everything else from debians CDs.
Is this posible?
Juraj