Re: blind spot for java

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 03:09:38PM +0100, Graham Smith wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 14:43, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> > Then maybe it's a shared library that's missing?  I had a problem like this
> > years ago with Modula 3.  There's some kind of command (strace ?  -- I
> > forget the name; I use it so rarely) that will trace all the system
> > calls while your program is starting up (and thereafter).  That might
> > make it clearer what file it is complaining about.
>
> Well I gave it a shot. I don't know what the output means but it doesn't look
> like it provides much more information.
>
> #strace -otrace.txt ./java
> strace: exec: No such file or directory
> #cat trace.txt
> execve("./java", ["./java"], [/* 18 vars */]) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or
> directory)

It seems to be saying that there is no such file or directory about "./java",
not about any libraries or other files that it might be tempted to look at
in executing ./java.

So... this leaves us to worry anout the file ./java.  I presume you have
checked that it exists, that the directory "." exists, that ./java has
execution permissions, that ./java is not a directory, a named pipe,
a file in the /proc filesystem,  etc.

This is really weird.

-- hendrik