Re: blind spot for java

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 02:03:42PM +0100, Graham Smith wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 13:30, Kai Grossjohann wrote:
> > Graham Smith <graham@crazysquirrel.com> writes:
> > > bash: /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin/java: No such file or directory
> >
> > This message makes you think that /usr/local/jdk1.5.0_04/bin/java does
> > not exist.  But that is sometimes wrong.  Look if this file is a shell
> > script.  If so, look at its shebang line and fix it if necessary.
> >
> > (If you have a script /bin/foo that starts with "#!/bin/bar", but you
> > don't have /bin/bar, then you'll get a message "/bin/foo: No such file
> > or directory", but the truth is that it is the file /bin/bar that's
> > missing...)
> >
> > Kai
>
> Cheers,
>
> Unfortunately I had thought of that and the java file in question is a binary
> not a shell script.

Then maybe it's a shared library that's missing?  I had a problem like this
years ago with Modula 3.  There's some kind of command (strace ?  -- I
forget the name; I use it so rarely) that will trace all the system
calls while your program is starting up (and thereafter).  That might
make it clearer what file it is complaining about.

-- hendrik