Re: Re: hacked: can't delete files

> On Tuesday 23 August 2005 12:57, Alvin Oga wrote:
> > personally... i think any hacked machine should be looked over
> > carefully to be able to answer the following:
> > - who broke in
> > - how did they get in
> > - why did they break in ( sometimes there's no answer )
> > - where they came from

> - obvious thing is to look at log files, but smart crackers
>   will wipe out or clean the /var/log before they leave
I do agree with your attitude on this. Unfortunately I do not see any chance of getting any kind of conviction on this sort of thing if it originates from another country. In this case the attacker is from Brazil (best guess, based on litter left by the cracker). We are based in Australia ans New Zealand. What are the chances of getting the brazilian police to do anything.

As for the clean up, I discovered a script among this guy's litter which was a clean-up script to delete his log entries. I managed to alter this script slightly to do the opposite next time he tries it. I do not think there will be a next time for this guy though. He was only interested in a spam relay for a while. These guys are typically just script kiddies that try to make some bucks sending spam from otherpeoples machines.

Cheers,

Andreas