Re: About chroot

On 8/25/05, Tong <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Several questions about chroot.
>
> - I need to chroot into an alien system. I.e., I need to chroot into a 2.6
> kernel from my 2.4 kernel. Is that ok?

chroot cannot change kernels. It is, however, safe to chroot into the
root filesystem of a system which normally runs a different kernel
version.

> - I heard all the fuzz about un/mounting the /proc, but I can't find any
> documents on that. Can somebody explains me why it is so critical, or give
> me a link to refer to please?

/proc is a virtual filesystem which many programs expect and/or need
to be mounted. If you don't have it mounted, things like 'ps' will
fail. You can mount it by running in the chroot:
mount -t proc proc /proc
And to unmount just:
umount /proc

If you don't unmount /proc, you won't be able to unmount the
filesystem it's mounted under.

> - I need to apt-get from the chrooted system. but on my 1st attempt, I
> was not able to connect to outside, even ping. But all the documents I
> read (I'm remastering a live CD) didn't mention anything about the
> connection problem. Have I neglect something, or there is something to do
> before I can connect?

Try copying /etc/resolv.conf from your host system to the chroot's
etc/resolv.conf.