Re: About chroot

2005/8/25, Tong <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com>:
> Hi,
>
> Several questions about chroot.
>
> - I need to chroot into an alien system. I.e., I need to chroot into a 2.6
> kernel from my 2.4 kernel. Is that ok?
it depends on what you're gonna do. chroot will change your /, but the
system will be the same. modprobe won't work in the chrooted 'alien'
system because it will look for modules on the chrooted
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ and will find 2.6 modules, that wont fit your
2.4 kernel.

> - I heard all the fuzz about un/mounting the /proc, but I can't find any
> documents on that. Can somebody explains me why it is so critical, or give
> me a link to refer to please?
hmm i know nothing about it as well, sorry

> - I need to apt-get from the chrooted system. but on my 1st attempt, I
> was not able to connect to outside, even ping. But all the documents I
> read (I'm remastering a live CD) didn't mention anything about the
> connection problem. Have I neglect something, or there is something to do
> before I can connect?

maybe you just need to edit /etc/resolve.conf in the chrooted /etc in
order to fit your dns server?! i guess that's all

good luck ;)