Re: How to automatic restore alsamixer settings with alsa-utils?

Hi,

> I experienced the same problem. When alsa-utils was called, the driver
> module for my sound card was not loaded yet. alsa-utils wouldn't trigger
> autoloading of the module either, so it failed to restore the mixer
> settings.  The module was autoloaded later, probably when KDE started up.

I have these lines in /etc/modules, but it does not help:
snd-intel8x0
snd_pcm_oss
Something else to test?

> My solution was to load the module explicitly in /etc/modules, so it
> gets loaded before /etc/init.d/alsa-utils is called.  Installing
> discover or hotplug might also help, although I haven't tried this.

I have hotplug installed (I never got my USB working until I installed
hotpug). But that is not the solution.

> There is some documentation at the top of /etc/init.d/alsa, and also in
> /usr/share/doc/alsa*/ .

Due to the docs in /etc/init.d/alsa-utils, /etc/rcS.d/S50alsa-utils should be
the right choice to restore alsa settings.

Do you know how to switch /var/log/boot.log (or similar) on? I definitely do
not have the boot messages written into a log file. See this:
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 4036 Dec 29  2003 boot
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 3306 Dec 11  2003 boot.0
It stopped ~Dec 29th 2003.
Some experiments with /etc/syslog.conf and local7.* just generated an empty
file.

Regards, Tim