vim: non-root user in gnome-terminal

Hi all,

I'm running sarge wuith Gnome and I have a problem when I start vim in a gnome-terminal (using vi, not gvim). No problem when I su root, but as a normal user I notice that any document I open gets scrambled as I try to move around the document. The document does not really get scrambled, rather it is its view in the terminal that does. When I resize (drag any border) the comamnd window where vim runs, the document view returns normal and since then I have no problems anymore.

The TERM environment variable value is xterm for both root and non-root users.
Any idea about which environment issue could affect vim behavior?

Thanks in advance!

P.S.
Please reply on the list.