Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 11:11:26AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 10:47:06AM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >

> > I vote the headers should direct a reply to the list.
> > It has always seemed lunacy to make the default the specific thing that
> > list policy shys you shouldn't do.
> > It's not as if it will be impossible to reply to the sender
> > if one really wants to.
> >
> > -- hendrik
>
> In view of the discussions I have read on this list since I voted,
> I'd like to change my vote from "yes" to "abstain".

The seventy-two hour limit is definitely too short to allow for proper reflection.  I now thing that the staus quo is correct,  However, sending an ewtiquette guide to new users, instead of just referring to one, is probably a good idea, especially if it startw with technical issues, such as choice of mailers, top-posting, and reply-to questions -- things that are not the usual motherhood issues (like "be polite") that cause peoples' eyes to glaze over in boredom.

-- hendrik