Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 09:53:18PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> Just a data point for you all.
>
> I run mailing lists for a charitable organization entirely staffed by
> volunteers.  We went to reply-to-list and it was the right call.
>
> This list might be different, but I (and the corporation) are not in a
> position to tell our volunteers "If you don't like it, get a different
> mailer and learn to use it!"  They won't and we can't make them -- all
> we can do is drive them away.  So we went to reply-to-list, and
> periodically (once a month or so) a private message goes to the list.
>
> It's still better than the old way, with over half of replies going to
> poster, all of which were meant for the list.

I would strongly hope that this list is different. At least in this list,
which is on technical topics, decisions should be based primarily on
technical criteria.

Of course, there are (way too) many cases around in which people are
discouraged from choosing a technically adequate system (or worse, in
which they are not given a choice at all). Obviously, such (forced)
choices, informed by inadequate and irrelevant criteria, are prone to
create problems and slow down progress in general. Consequently,
electronic communication has become way more difficult during recent
years.

Personally, I like to think about Debian as a project that promotes
technical development by (deliberately) resisting such trends.

Best regards, Jan
 |    *NEW*    email: jtk@cmp.uea.ac.uk                               |
 |    *NEW*    WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |