Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Wednesday, 24.08.2005 at 16:24 -0500, Steve Block wrote:

> >Yes, I've read a lot in the twenty minutes since writing the above. I
> >use thunderbird though in linux, solaris and windows. No matter, I'll
> >deal with it. Maybe I'll look at the much lauded mutt...
>
> Part of the problem with this whole thing is that Thunderbird is a
> truly awful mail client. Yes it generally works and yes it is cross
> platform but it is very poorly put together.
>
> Besides the list header stuff it threads poorly, defaults to sending
> html messages, and does not default to using SSL even when the server
> supports it (how hard is it to check for SSL capability of a server
> when setting up a new account). It also has some really screwy IMAP
> behavior.

I've noticed that too.  I think Thunderbird is a good compromise between
an easy-to-use client and a secure client.  For non-technical users, I
usually set them up with Thunderbird, but I make a number of changes to
the default config before letting them loose.  Including the things you
mention above: i.e. I switch off "send HTML mail" and I switch on SSL
for IMAP ... :-)

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!