Re: call for a vote -- should debian-user mailing list replies go to author or to list?

On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 08:58:31PM +0100, Doofus wrote:
> No other mailing lists I've ever subscribed to has worked in this ludicrous
> way. Being a newbie has nothing to do with it. Of course, the common response
> "just hit "Reply-All" and delete the poster from the outgoing list" will alway
> work, but it would be far better applied to those wanting to reply to the
> poster when obviously the great majority of replies are required to go to the
> list.
>
> So you can cry foul in the case of list servers configured this way, just as
> you can cry foul when people suddenly and stupidly top-post in the middle of an
> otherwise properly structured thread.

No.  You cannot cry foul.  Please read RFC 822.  The "Reply-To:" header
should point to the sender of the message.  Hint:  The mailing list does
not send you the message, it merely bounces them.  The
"Mail-FollowUp-To:" header is what you want.  List replies are generally
followup messages, and if your MUA respects the MFT header, then you
should be OK.  Of course, many people still do not configure their MUA
to properly set the MFT header.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez