Re: Newbie: How do I defrag my drive?

Tim Ruehsen wrote:

<snip>

Jiann-Ming Su posted a link, which talks about two possibilities to defragment your discs: either use defrag (but make a backup before!) or just make a backup, clean your partitions and restore the backup.

I did the last thing (after using my system for ~2 years for ~10 hours a day, making updates every day) and my system booted about 30% faster. Now, after a year or so, it seems to be time to do it again (booting became slower and slower).
This applies to all UNIX-type systems, as far as I know. We used to have to do it on old SCO and Interactive UNIX boxes, as well as Solaris. The procedure is very straightforward, but make sure you verify your backup properly...:-)

cheers
Duncan

___________________________________________________________ To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo! Security Centre. http://uk.security.yahoo.com