Re: Newbie: How do I defrag my drive?

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:19:55 -0400
kamaraju kusumanchi <raju.mailinglists@gmail.com> wrote:

> post your df -h output? I have a feeling that defragmenting an ext2/ext3
> partition does not increase performance if the partitions are not
> heavily filled up. But I could be wrong.

I'm skeptical that it would offer any improvement. If you look at what
the init process does (besides loading the kernel, of course),
basically the system spawns a number of deamons/programs/etc in rapid
succerssion. One would think that in terms of head movement there would
be more time spent finding the things to load than any fragmentation
there might be in the things themselves.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.