Re: root (/) on software raid

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 02:34:45PM -0400, Erik Karlin wrote:

> If you check the rootraiddoc.97.html, usually
> /usr/share/doc/mdadm/rootraiddoc.97.html or via
> http://alioth.debian.org/projects/rootraiddoc
>
> Down around section 8, just before the appendix, there is this little
> blurb:
>
> When using mdadm, mkinitrd will only detect disks in the array that are
> running at the time of execution. You should not install a new kernel
> while the array is degraded, otherwise, even if you do an mdadm --add,
> the next reboot will still be degraded! The array is started at boot
> time by script. You can see what is in the script of the initrd by
> mounting it, e.g.
>
> mount /boot/initrd.img-X.X.X /mnt -o loop
> cat /mnt/script
>
> And look for the array start line similar to
>
> mdadm -A /devfs/md/0 -R -u 23d8dd00:bc834589:0dab55b1:7bfcc1ec /dev/hda1 /dev/hdc1
>

> That sounds like what you're seeing

I think that was it, I recreated the initrd image once the second volume
was resynced and it now boots fine.  Thank you for that pointer.  I did
some searching on this prior to posting but didn't come across the
document you referenced.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. --Aldous Huxley,
"Proper Studies", 1927