Re: Need Help Installing Debian on My Computer

On Sunday 14 August 2005 9:52 pm, michael@etalon.net wrote:
> Quoting Court Thomas <court@seanet.com>:
> > I have a new computer and am having a hard time installing linux.  The
> > computer is a Dell XPS pentium 4 system.  The BIOS identifies the system
> > as a 64 bit system.  I've tried installing SUSE 9.3 but with little luck.
> >
> > My computer is capable of booting from the CD drive, but when I try
> > booting the system with the Debian ia64 disk, the system states that it
> > can't boot from the disk.  When I try booting with the Debian i386 disk,
> > the installation processing can't find the hard disks.  I know that the
> > computer can boot from the CD drive because I can boot Knoppix 3.9.  I've
> > tried using debootstrap from Knoppix (since it's based on Debian) but
> > when I debootstraping  the i386 Debian 3.1, the system dies and when I
> > try debootstrapping the ia64 Debian 3.1, the system fails trying to mount
> > proc.
>
> The IA-64 shouldn't work on your system. That port is designed for the
> intel Itantium chip. If you want to take adavantage of your 64 bit box,
> try the AMD64 (x86_64) port of Debian.
I ordered a set of Debian 3.1 AMD64 disks.  I had no better luck installing
from them.  Both the AMD64 and i386 disks report that they can find
partionable disks.

> Did you try the running the installer with a 2.6 kernel?
I tried booting linux26 and expert26 on the i386 distribution.  The AMD64
distribution reported that there wasn't a linux26 option (maybe because it
only has a 2.6 kernel?).  Booting just linux on the AMD64 distribution didn't
work either.  I tried just about all the options listed from the boot help
screen on both distributions, but with no luck.

> It would help if you described the type of hard disks you have.
I have serial ATA drives.  The boot.msg file (from a SuSE installation) lists
the drive that I hope to install Debian on as a HDS725050KLA360 if that's any
help.  The primary drive is a Western Digital, but it's formatted for a NTFS
file system.  I'm keeping my Linux physically separate from that other
operating system.