X11 video spec/boot problems

'evening all,

having dabbled with various distros, as well as debian-related applications
(fink), i decided that it was finally time to give the mighty debian a spin.

However, I am having problems starting up x11--despite going through xf86conf
several times, and selecting the lowest requirements, as well as higher ones,
when I run startx, i fade to black, and after a few moments, am spit out with
several warnings.

The odd part is, that I *can* boot up x11 if i run it using %startx -- -depth 8,
but when i set the resolution to 8bit in xf86conf, I get the same error I have
always gotten so far.

the last errors i get have something to do with font rendering, before a signal
is caught..10 or 11, i believe - and then i get the standard bug report
request.

My hardware specs are:

powerbook g4, 12inch, 867mhz, 640mb of RAM, 60gb HD, with no macos--just pure
Debian. Video card should be an nvidia geforce, with 32mb of ram.

Any suggestions? Any help would be most appreciated.

-D