Re: Downgrading a package that is causing some problems in KDE

--- Ibrahim Mubarak <ibmub80@yahoo.com> wrote:

First of all, how can I find out what version of a package is installed
on my system without going through synaptic or dselect, [...]

Have a look at the manpage of the 'apt-cache' command, especially the
'policy' part:

$ apt-cache policy kdelibs-data

tells you which versions of the package APT knows, which one is
installed and if there is a candidate for an upgrade.

Otherwise, try 'aptitude' which is menu-oriented like synaptic and works
without an X session.

Secondly, is there a history file for aptitude and/or apt-get that
could tell me which packages got upgraded yesterday?

You could use the 'find' command to check which files in APT's package
cache have been accessed less than 2 days ago (and awk to cut out the
package name from the filename):

$ cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
$ find * -atime -2 | awk -F _ '{print $1}'

There is probably a more elegant way to do this, but I never had to find
out how...

Finally, if it turns out that I need to get back to an old version of
package 'whatsitsname', how can I do it?

http://snapshot.debian.net/ has old versions of Debian packages.
However, your problem can probably be fixed with the kdelibs-data
version from 'testing' (see next point).

Well, I was able to run synaptic and found the package that is causing
all this trouble : kdelibs-data
I have version 4:3.4.2-1 installed and kdelibs is at 4:3.3.2-7
I want to revert back to the older version.

Make sure your /etc/apt/sources.list contains the following two lines:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

Verify with 'apt-cache policy' that APT knows about version 4:3.3.2-6.1 of kdelibs-data. Then a simple

# apt-get install kdelibs-data=4:3.3.*

should bring back your KDE-menu after you restart kdm/X. (kdelibs will
also be downgraded to the version from 'testing'; this works fine on my
otherwise 'unstable' computer.)

Wait with the next upgrade until the necessary 'conflicts' field has
been added to kdelibs-data to avoid running into the same problem again;
see the discussion at

(I apologize if my mail is redundant. I am on the digest version of this
list, therefore other people might already have replied to this.)