Re: On the use of DVD recordable media

On Aug 19 2005, Brendon Lloyd Higgins wrote:
> Rogério Brito wrote (Thursday 18 August 2005 5:14 pm):
> > Which portable do you have?
>
> Portable? I don't have any portable. You might've misunderstood me.

Oops.

Yes, perhaps I have misunderstood you. I was refering myself to the fact
that not all DVDs that I am able to write are readable by all DVD
drives I have access to, including the DVD reader on my iBook (Late 2001
model).

I'm concerned with this because I may be moving in the near future and I
would like to backup my important data and carry with me just the
notebook and some DVDs, but, of course, I would like to use a format
that works with the drives that I need.

I am curious to know if the current Apple laptops (or any other brands)
can cope with DVD+R/W media and DVD-RW media. So far, I have only
successfully used DVD-R with my iBook.

My ASUS DVD-ROM E608 drive suffers the same problems as the iBook's
drive.

In other words, I can only read my data with my burner, if I use
anything else than DVD-R (or CDs, but I am trying to get CDs out of the
game here).

So, any feedback regarding if current portables (say, the current
iBooks) can read the variety of DVD media used today would be quite
welcome.

Thanks for any comments, Rogério Brito.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/