Re: xserver-xorg: - Matrox G550 Dualhead woes!

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005, Adrian von Bidder wrote:

> Environment: Matrox G550 on xorg from unstable on a (mostly) sarge
> installation. 2 analog screens.  Xinerama is used, bare xorg - no mga_hal
> etc.; kernel linux-image-2.6.12 or kernel-image-2.6.8 doesn't matter;
> 686-smp in both cases.  DRM loads fine.
>
> Symptom:  booting, one display is text console.  When X is started, it
> starts fine on that display, but there's no signal on the other display -
> thus it won't even come out of power save mode.
>
> Starting X once with a single head xorg.conf solves the problem: The 'single
> head' X delivers identical signal to both outputs of the graphics card
> (even to the point where killing X or switcing back to text mode shows the
> text mode on both screens). Changing xorg.conf back to the
> dualhead/xinerama one, it starts fine on both displays.

I have a dual monitor G550 set-up and experienced the same problem.  A
simple workaround for me was to switch to a virtual console (ie.
Ctrl-Alt-F1) and then back to X (Ctrl-Alt-F7) -- the second head 'turned
on' and everything worked as usual until the next reboot.

-- Brad