Re: Do I have to use exim?

Scott Fitzgerald wrote:

Exim looks like it can do anything, but also looks incredibly complex,

Ha ha, wait untill you see sendmail...

I have another login on my box which is my girlfriends. I know how to set kmail to read /var/mail/"username" so I want to know, what is the simplest way I can set things up so that we can leave messages to each other without connecting to the internet?
OK, I don't know exim too well, so I'll stick to what I know - postfix.

Do apt-get install postfix, follow the prompt, and select "smarthost" config - this will ask you for the smtp setting for your isp. Once this is done, you will be able to set kmail's smtp setting to "localhost" where postfix will send the mail out to your isp's smtp server.

Then add an account to kmail that picks up mail from /var/spool/<username>

If you want to send mail to your girlfriend without it leaving your computer, then send it to:
girlfriend@localhost   and it will be delivered to /var/spool/<girlfriend>

Note that this does nothing to download your mail from your isp and deliver it locally. That's a whole different matter.

Hope that helps

--

Kind regards
Hans du Plooy