Re: how to change desktop manager

Alan Ianson wrote:

On Sat August 20 2005 03:57 pm, qee iiii wrote:
hi
i am newbie, i have installed debian on my laptop, my
desktop manager is wmaker.
but i am also installing kde soon. how do i let debian
know whether to use wmaker or kde

When you install kde you will be asked what desktop manager you want to use. You will be given a list of whatever you have installed. I like kdm myself, it lets me choose whatever desktop environment I want to use as well as shutdown or reboot.

qee iiii mentioned a "desktop manager", when he really meant "window manager".
Alan mentioned a "desktop manager", when he really meant "display manager".
Y'all are talking two different things.

The KDM display manager provides a graphical login screen, which, as Alan mentioned, allows you to choose which window manager/environment you want to run.

If you just start X with "startx" though, instead of using a display manager, you can put the name of your preferred window manager/environment into your ~/.xinitrc file.

There are other ways of handling this also, but these are probably the most common.

--
Kent