Re: how to change desktop manager

qee iiii wrote:

i cheked the kde site, they have various versions
of kde, if i have to install the latest version,
what is the commaand
(Replying at the top of a post is generally discouraged on this list. Usually you'll want to follow a post-response-post-response interleaving format. Also, most list members prefer not to get two copies of replies, so there's no need to send a reply to the list and to the person to whom you're replying. (Of course, there are some exceptions to both guidelines.)

The easiest way to install software on a Debian system is to use the Debian tools, pulling packages from the Debian respository. If you're running Sarge (Stable), you'd want to run apt-get (good) or aptitude (better) or synaptic (X-based graphical). For example, to install KDE, you might run "aptitude install kde".

But with Sarge, you'll get an older version of KDE.

If you're running Testing or Sid, you'll most likely get newer versions of software, although probably not the absolute newest. In the case of KDE, KDE is currently broken in Sid; I'm not sure about Sarge.

Installing software from non-Debian sources, such as directly from the KDE site, or from other sites that perhaps provide newer Debian-style packages of software than what's in the Debian respositories, tends to introduce problems that most newbies would be better off avoiding. For this reason, I suggest you live slightly behind the frontier if you can settle for a slightly older version of KDE than is what's available on the KDE website. However, if you prefer to be on the bleeding edge, expect to bleed. I prefer to keep my boxes pure Debian, so I don't have the experience to help you pull down the appropriate stuff from the KDE site; sorry.

--
Kent