Re: using dpkg-buildpackage to compile a kernel

David Madore wrote:
> I'm trying to compile a Debian kernel package from "unstable" (on a
> "testing" system) using dpkg-buildpackage, with a few minor changes to
> the config file.  I've upgraded a few packages (such as kernel-package
> and dh-kpatches) to "unstable", so testing should not be the problem.

Okay.  Should work fine.  I did that myself just yesterday.

> I run "apt-get source linux-image-2.6.12-1-686-smp", I edit the
> debian/changelog file slightly and the config file
> debian/arch/i386/config as needed.  I also needed to change the modes
> of the files in debian/bin because for some reason they were not
> marked as executable (why is that???).

Hmm...  You are doing too much.  You are trying to handle the kernel
package as if it were a normal Debian package.  But it is not.  The
kernel packages are built quite differently.  They don't use the same
tools as a normal package build.

> After this I try "dpkg-buildconfig -rfakeroot" from the base source
> directory, and the following occurs:

Kernel packages are built using the 'fakeroot make-kpkg' command.

> I don't understand at all what this error means.  How am I supposed to
> build this package?  What is wrong, here?
>
> A pointer to any kind of HOWTO or clear documentation would be
> welcome.

You want this reference:

  http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

Here is the process to build the new kernel in a very small nutshell.
Read the docs for details.

  cd /usr/src
  tar xjf kernel-source-X.Y.Z.tar.bz2
  cd kernel-source-X.Y.Z
  cp /boot/config-X.Y.Z-1-686-smp .config
  make menuconfig
  fakeroot make-kpkg clean
  fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version -1+1-686-smp --revision 1.1 kernel_image modules_image
  cd /usr/src
  sudo dpkg -i kernel-image-X.Y.Z-1+1-686-smp_*.deb

Bob