Re: HP USB 3520

Considering the fact that you'd best try to get it running through CUPS
(easiest solution, and CUPS is already running for your own machine -
you don't need any computer resources to run samba along with it, if not
really necessary)
pay attention to the fact that http://host:631 is by default only
available from the localhost (ie. your own machine, where CUPS is running)

In other terms - if you would like your win machine to change some
settings on the :631 web interface (say - to print on other formats or
whatever) - you have to explicitly mention this in the cups
configuration file in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

You can specify which network range is allowed to use your CUPS web
interface or define single IP's that can have access to that :631 interface.
Could be handy when you want to change something from the WIN machine ...

I'm not quite sure anymore if you'd have to setup the
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf file to allow certain computers to use your printer
too - I don't think so, but info can be found in that conf file if
necessary.

Cheers
Frank

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

>On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 06:02:40PM -0400, Bill Day wrote:
>

>>As stated in the subject I have this printer, connected and working fine on
>>Debian sarge.   By default this printer is being shared along with a Lexmark
>>Laserjet  Optra312 connected to my sarge as well.  I want to be able to print
>>from a windows machine to the usb inkjet, the laserjet was easy to setup, but
>>since it a usb printer and not physacally connected to the priner I am having
>>a hard time getting windows to use it.  Any ideas or suggestion on how I
>>should go about this?
>>

>Two options:  1) CUPS; 2) Samba
>
>CUPS is the easiest, since you simply allow connections from outside
>localhost in CUPS and then set windows to print to ipp://host/printer
>or http://host:631/printer.
>
>If the Windows version you are running does not understand IPP, you can
>get the necessary driver from Microsft or your printer manufacturer.
>
>Samba can be a challenge to get up and running.  It is probably best
>that you steer clear of it unless you also need the other features
>(i.e., file sharing) in addition to the printer.
>
>-Roberto

Frank Guthorel

T : 09/329.49.38 - G : 0495/105.776
mailto:frank@codedor.be - http://www.codedor.be