Re: Minimum specs

Ian wrote:
I was wondering, what are the absolute minimum specs of a machine you could put Debian on, using a minimalistic WM, such as xfce or Fluxbox. One of my teachers has a few 500Mhz Celeron machines with like 64MB of RAM, and I was wondering what cool things I could do to them.

I am running Sarge on a Pentium 90 with 48MB of RAM, but I don't run XFree/Org on it (just squid(+patches) pdnsd, nfs, nntp server), in it's current configuration it has only a couple of MB swapped to disk. I have another box which has an AMD K2-500Mhz with 386MB of RAM that runs gnome, firefox(~40MB), openoffice(90MB+), gnumeric(~200MB, it has some big sheets) and evolution(30MB?) quite hapily at the same time with minimal paging and about 120MB swapped to disk (OO.org takes a little while to start the first time after boot). The problem for you is going to be the small amount of RAM...

HTH
Brett