ethtool and mii-tool cannot read eth0 NIC

Hi,

A P4 running Debian unstable and 2.6.12-1-686 has a Davicom nic:
0000:02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x4x
DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet (rev 31)

It used to use tulip driver but IIRC in 2.6.12 kernel dmfe driver is
necessary to make it work.

The problem is that ethtool and mii-tool do not seem to talk to the nic:
~# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
No data available
~# mii-tool eth0
SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Operation not supported
~#

How do I making these commands work, if at all possible?

thanks,
->HS
--
Please remove the underscores ( the '_' symbols) from my email address
to obtain the correct one. Apologies, but the fudging is to remove spam.