restarting sshd clears up problem. Why?

After various upgrades an installs, I found I couldn't get onto my
system via ssh.  There was no record of my attempts on the logs, as far
as I could tell.

When nothing else worked, I shut down ssh and started it in debug mode.
At least from localhost, I could then get on.  I restarted it via the
init script, and it's still working (at least from localhost).

Why did this happen?

Notable upgrades or installations before this happened:
fail2ban (rewrites iptables rules after failed ssh logins; my attention
initially focused there)
libc6 from unstable pulled onto my mostly stable system when I got some
other libs from unstable.
All relevant sarge security upgrades (because of a goof I hadn't been
picking them up).
dirmngr (certificate manager)

So among ssh's immediate dependents, I upgraded libc6 and zlibg1g.
--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 502-4031
530 Parnassus Avenue (Library) rm 115-4          ross@biostat.ucsf.edu