Redirection of .dot files during NFS/NIS login from GNOME desktop

We are using NIS/NFS to allow uses to login to a Debian desktop machine
that connects them to there Sun Solaris work space. We would like to direct
the many  .dot files that are written to be directed to a sub-directory to
stop any interferance with pre-existing/duplicated files that are created
during a 'regular' login via SSH to the users Sun account.

A partial list of the sort of .files I am talking about.
.dmrc
.gnome2_private
.gstreamer-0.8
.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2