problem with lpr (sarge, i386)

Hi,

I got a problem with printing via lpr on a remote print server, but
it seems to be a local issue. Printcap entries are ok, the machine
is a NIS client.

lpr gives me the following error message when trying to print a file:

lpr -Plj4050n test.txt
lpr: cannot open test.txt
lpr: At least one file not readable. Nothing printed

strace output gives me - among lots of output - this one:

write(1, "lpr: cannot create /var/spool/lp"..., 51lpr: cannot create /var/spool/ lpd/lpd-lj4050n/.seq

Now the strange thing:
When setting permissions of /var/spool/lpd/* to 777,

lpr -Plj4050n test.txt

still doesn't work, but

strace lpr -Plj4050n test.txt

works with the same setup.

permissions of /usr/bin/lpr:
-rwsrwsr-x  1 root daemon 19580 May 15  2001 lpr

How can just 's-tracing' the command fix the problem??

Please let me know if you need additional information about the system / setup!
Thank you

Christian