Re: Network card recommendation

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 11:48:30AM -0700, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
Great! So now some people say Realtek sucks, others say it's better. What's a poor admin to do?

Don't use realtek :-)

Well documented and well supported != good performing.

Some of the best supported hardware in Linux is the cheapest crappiest
you can find becuase it is based on cheaply available generic chipsets.
These chipsets are usually available from multiple sources and there is
an abundance of documentation, but that does not imply anything about
their performace or stability from a hardware stand point.

-Roberto
Thanx - that's a reasonable answer. At the moment then, it sounds like the 3Com 3c905 or Intel Pro/100 series should be my preferred sources for 10/100 cards - with SMC as a third place contender.

Does anyone know what chipsets are used in the current Netgear (FA-311) and Linksys (LNE100TX) cards? I remember using a couple Netgears with the "natsemi" driver - I don't know if the tulip driver would work on those, or if that would be preferable.

I guess the performance question comes down to which driver(s) most acts as an "interface" between the system and the NIC (good), and which driver(s) actually process data (bad). If we can get that clearly answered, then we can identify which chipsets go with which driver, and which cards use which chipset.

--
Daniel