resolvconf configuration

I'm setting up a new machine (sarge, kerel 2.6.8-2-686), and have
trouble accessing my firewall.

I run Postfix, and it insists on creating a new directory,
/etc/resolvconf, and replacing /etc/resolv.conf with a
symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf.

I copied the configuration on a running system with sarge and an older
kernel that is working correctly.

However, when I boot and resolvconf runs, it fails to create
/etc/resolvconf/run/ethN (my working machine is connected to same
firewall, and is eth0.

Doing # ifconfig -a shows:

  eth1 Link encap: Ethernet ...
       BROADCAST MULTICAST ...

  lo   Link encap:  ...
       LOOPBACK ...

  sit0 Link encap: ...
       NOARP ...

This suggests the hardware is communicating, for the interface is
eth1 as a result of their already being and eth0 interface for the
firewall.

However, my /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/ directory is empty.

Also, /etc/network/run --> /dev/shm/ifstate is empty.

--

       Haines Brown
       KB1GRM