Two problems: Low resolution and login screen

Hello everyone,

I recently installed debian Sarge3.1_r0a, and have two
problems. The first one is that I'm unable to set the
screen resolution higher than 800x600 even though I
had it at 1280 x 1024 in Fedora Core. Could this be
some kind of driver issue??. Any ideas?.

My other problem is that my login screen doesn't have
the option to reboot or to shutdown the computer, so I
have to log in as root everytime I want to shutdown
the computer and do it manually. How can I fix this?.

Thanx for the help.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs