Re: System backup/snapshot

pavel.orehov@gmail.com wrote:
Hi,

I need some mechanism in/for debian to be able to make whole system
backup and restore.

Why ?

I want for example perform some updates on the system that may be
upgrading/changing of debian packages, some files or firebird database.
If one of the update tasks failed i want be able to restore complete
previous system before all updates occurs.

Is there are general solutions for this?

For that I use partimage. Make the backup. Do the dist-upgrade. Test the changes. If I don't like it. partimage+restore.

The disadvantage is that you cannot be on the system you backup.

If you want to do that use mondo, it creates bootable CD's, but that process takes a lot longer, the advantage being you can do that on the current system and boot the CD(s) anywhere else, not so with partimage.

HTH