Re: Multiple problems started at the same time

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 08:54 pm, Maurits van Rees wrote:
> This just means that mysqld is *currently* not running, not that it
> cannot start up at all.  Try this as root:
>
> /etc/init.d/mysql start

That is precisely what I did, then cut and paste the output into the email

I just uninstalled mysql and tried to install again with the following results

asusm6:/var/log# apt-get install mysql-server
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  mysql-server
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/3645kB of archives.
After unpacking 8810kB of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
Selecting previously deselected package mysql-server.
(Reading database ... 159241 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking mysql-server (from .../mysql-server_4.0.24-10_i386.deb) ...
Setting up mysql-server (4.0.24-10) ...
Stopping MySQL database server: mysqld.
Starting MySQL database server: mysqld...failed.
        Please take a look at the syslog.
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

Not healthy!

Kim