Re: Multiple problems started at the same time

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 08:39:47PM +1000, kadil wrote:
> after my recent "ap-get update" - "apt-get dist-upgrade" a few nights ago,
> mysqld will not start:
>
>         Please take a look at the syslog.
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' exists!

This just means that mysqld is *currently* not running, not that it
cannot start up at all.  Try this as root:

/etc/init.d/mysql start

If mysqld indeed cannot start, this will give an error message.
Please post that one.  Then we might be able to help you.

(BTW, I have no idea about the other problem; sorry.)

Public GnuPG key:  http://maurits.vanrees.org/var/gpgkey.asc
"It can seem like you're doing just fine,
but the creep's creeping into your mind." - Neal Morse