Re: Briefly Making a Botable Floppy with GRUB

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005, Jon Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 12:11:42AM -0400, David R. Litwin wrote:
> > I found this from the Archives:
> > but I do not know what the cp .... stages one and two means, and the
> > text in parenthesis.
>
> Those instructions seem to omit putting the stage1 portion of grub into
> the boot sector. I could be wrong, but I don't think the resulting
> floppy will boot into grub properly.

you will also need the filesystem type ( e2fs_stage1_5 or xfs or reiserfs,
etc )

you will also need to know how to create grub.conf and menu.lst and
devices.map  ( a correct one, that you know what to change to make it
work on your system --  depending on where you built vmlinuz and
what disk/partition you are trying to boot on the target system )

making a (properly working) grub boot floppy is very tricky biz..

you should know how to make:
	- a standard boot floppy:  dd if=kernel of=/dev/fd0 ..
	- lilo boot floppy:  lilo -C /etc/lilo.fd.conf where boot=/dev/fd0
	- syslinux boot floppy
	- than try a grub boot floppy

> I did have a good write-up somewhere which explained it (I think it was
> just dd'd onto the front of the floppy device) but I can't find it now.
> I expect I just googled for 'grub boot floppy howto'.

dd if=/dev/working-grub-device  of=/dev/fd0 bs=446 count=1

	where working-grub-device is for example: /dev/hda

c ya
alvin