Re: Kernel 2.6.8-2-686 panics

Hi Martin,

> >> I have installed kernel 2.6.8-2 686 on a newly
> >> installed sarge machine,

> Yes the install is on a sata disk, it works fine
> with 2.4.27, is there some
> kind of reconfiguration I can do to get this up and
> running?

I had lots of problems because of this.

The root device will have changed (depending on your
specic hardware) from /dev/hda1 to /dev/sda1

What I had to do was:

 - Add root=/dev/sda1 to to kernel command line.
   However this did not seem to be enough (at least
   for the 2.4.27-2.4.31 kernel upgrade. 2.6 maybe
   different.

 - Recreate the initrd image as this also contains the
   root directory. Something like
    > mkinitrd -o /boot/initrd-2.6.8-2-686 -r
/dev/sda1 2.6.8-2-686
   Should do the trick (check the exact kernel version
    is correct.

  - I also had to use rdev for some kernels (possibly
    ones without an initrd)
    > rdev /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-2-686 /dev/sda1
   (from memory)

All of this may not be neccessary, but with the large
mix of kernels I am using at the moment (trying to get
a new machine working...) some subset was always
needed.

Cheers
Chris