downloading from web

A few weeks agol I think on this list, I saw a message asking
about software to lownload series of numbered files from a web site
-- series like
   http://foo.bat/onion/soup01.htm
   http://foo.bat/onion/soup02.htm
   http://foo.bat/onion/soup03.htm
   http://foo.bat/onion/soup04.htm

and the like, in situations where the site did *not* allow
you to read the directory
   http://foo.bat/onion/

If it did allow such access, wget would obviously be the tool of
choice.

I've tried looking in the archives for the message, but I can't find it.
I think the original poster wanted to download pictures, in case
it helps anyone remember.

Anyway, I'd appreciate pointers to appropriate software
(or to the original message and responses).

-- hendrik