Re: How do I edit UTF-8 encoded files with Emacs?

On 8/13/05, Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

>   (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

Exactly that's what everybody has been telling me...

I now found the reason for emacs not liking utf-8 files:  I still had
included a many years old emacs package from our local administrator
that had been designed to remap a few keys when we were sill working
on our Solaris UltraSparcs.  I had not thought of the fact that this
piece of software might mess with the input-methods and so effectively
disabled the unicode support.

Emacs now plays nice with utf-8 files in X-Window mode.  Inside the xterm

> The best UTF-8 unicode font that I have found so far (personal
> preference) is:
>
>   apt-get install xfonts-efont-unicode xfonts-efont-unicode-ib

The efont fontset looks a much better than the one I had before.
Thanks for that suggestion.

Thanks for your tips,
Jim