Re: Pinning, Local Repositories

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 11:45:06AM -0400, Ryan King wrote:
> I am working on a project where we need to maintain several deployments of
> our code.  I want to set up a repostory so we can:
>     - Package our main code up as a .deb
>     - Package CPAN modules up that don't already have .deb's
>     - Force certain versions of packages /not/ to upgrade until we're
>       ready.
>
> On apt.example.net, I have:
>     ~apt/htdocs/binary/*.deb
>
> On glumble.example.net, I have:
>     /etc/apt/sources.list
>         deb http://apt.example.net binary/
>         # ... normal repo's
>     /etc/apt/preferences
>         Package: *
>         Pin: release o=Example
>         Pin-Priority: 900
>     apt-cache policy
>         # a bunch of 500's, then:
>         900 http://apt.example.net binary/ Packages
>         release o=Example
>         origin apt.example.net
>
> The setup works for the simple cases of when we put a package up that's
> newer than the one in the distro's repository, but the pinning seems to
> have no effect.  If I upload libfoo-perl.0.deb, it doesn't take
> preference over the distro's libfoo-perl.1.deb.
>
> I've tried a bunch of different options with pinning, but I guess I'm to
> the point where I give up and ask the experts.  My figurin' is that the
> o=Example part is not the right thing to key on.

The problem is that you are setting up a trivial repository.  Pinning
does *not* work with trivial repositories.  Check out my HOWTO on
automatic repositories [0].  Though you may want to also make use of a
more automated tool, like dak or debarchiver.  My HOWTO is target at
smaller repositories that change infrequently enough to be handled
manually.  If your repository will be changing more regularly, you will
want a tool to do more of the work for you.

-Roberto

[0] http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/?page=debrepository

--
Roberto C. Sanchez