Re: lame not in the debian package repository?

On Monday 15 August 2005 10:37, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > But the point still stands, if you want free you use Ogg.  If you want
> > wrong, go with MP3.
>
> I really couldn't care if mp3 is free or not, it doesn't cost anything
> to compile lame and it doesn't cost anything to play back mp3s either,
> so what's the fuss?

That, in order to use the technology patented by BMG Music (right?), you'll
have to make an agreement with them. That technology only is in effect when
encoding to mp3, and therefore LAME -- although easily and freely
distributable -- can't be used freely; it isn't DFSG-free.

That's the fuss.

> What concerns me more is that ogg offers much better sound quality for
> the same bitrate/size as mp3.  *That* is what's important to me.

Sorry to hear that, but it's your choice nonetheless. BTW, ``ogg'' is only the
container format -- the audio codec goes by the name ``Vorbis''.

Regards, Anders Breindahl.