Re: Hi!

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 06:41:59AM -0700, Suzanne M ODell wrote:
> I contacted the wrong list, initially, my
> apologies.

This list may be called debian-user, but prospective
users are also very welcome.

> My board is an Intel D815EEA, my
> processor is Celeron 700mg w/ 256mg RAM, 20Gg HD,
> I do not, that I know of have an extra graphics
> card. XP, in fact, fixed a color problem that I
> had had when I installed it. I want to get away
> from XP, since Mr. Gates seems to be gunning for
> Google, and I am opposed to gunslinging. Can you
> tell me if I will be able to use Debian, and if
> so, will I need to get a new graphics card before
> installing it?

Probably you will be able to use Debian,
and you probably don't need a new graphics card.
If you think you want a new graphics card, anyway, ask
about Linux-compatibility *before* you buy.  Some
aren't supported at all, as far as I know (sucn as
mu Hercules card), some are supported, but not fully,
some are very well supproted indeed.

> Yours,
> Suzi O'Dell

A cheap way of finding out is to get a live CD, such
as knoppix or Ubuntu, and boot from it.  These so-called
live CDs let you try out Linux without touching your hard
disk.  If it works, Debian probably will work too, and
you should consider installing it.

By the way, it *is* possible for Debian and XP to coexist
on one same machine, with a boot-time choice of which one
you want.  You just have to have enough disk space for
both.

I believe Ubuntu still gives away free CDs.  Knoppix
you'll probably have to download and burn yourself.

-- hendrik