Re: Can't install on ASUS MB -- need recommendation of MB that will work

Actually, I got it to work much more easily. On the P5WD2 there is a third IDE PATA controller -- a blue connector on the side of the board. I hooked up my disk as master and CD as slave. I installed sarge 2.6 from the netinst disk with no hiccups.

It is ATA100 (probably ATA66 because of the CD-ROM) instead of ATA133, but it works.

On Aug 14, 2005, at 11:15 PM, Žáček Kryštof wrote:

Happened to me too (chipset Intel 82801EB/ER, SATA disk, PATA CD/ DVD burner). I managed to make Debian install with linux26 by manually loading piix, ide-generic and ide-cd before the bloody ata-piix gets loaded by debian installer. Otherwise CDROM would not be detected at all - the SATA driver somehow blocks it.

After installation I upgraded to 2.6.12. System booted up but CD was not functioning. To make CD/DVD work I had to rearrange drivers in the initrd as indicated in the link http:// kerneltrap.org/node/3971

However, finally I was unable to turn DMA on the CD/DVD burner, so I gave up the BLOODY 2.6 thing and reinstalled with linux24 :-(((

Krystof

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Brown [mailto:yogieric@mac.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 9:50 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Can't install on ASUS MB -- need recommendation of
MB that will work

I ordered and built what I thought was my next computer --
dual-core Intel 820, asus P5WD2 -- I didn't expect I wouldn't
be able to install debian because of weird IDE/SATA
controller issues: http:// kerneltrap.org/node/5392. (I tried
disabling lots of drivers in expert install and changing bios
settings, but the netinst disc always fails to find the
CD-ROM -- probably the PATA disk drive I have too if it ever
got that far.)

I spend hours putting the thing together, I don't want to
spend all weekend trying to build a custom kernel for it. Can
anybody recommend a relatively inexpensive Intel 775
dual-core Intel 820 compatible MB I can buy instead?

The other components I have are PATA disk, 2x1GB DDR2-533 and
a CD-ROM.

Maybe I'll return the ASUS or more likely I'll just keep it
in hopes that one day I'll use it.

Thanks,
Eric