Re: OT: wireless router modems

On 2005-08-14 14:35:30 +0100, linux wrote:
> WAG54G Wireless ADSL Router with 4 port switch
>   Manufacturers Code: WAG54G/UK
> <http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8521&GroupID=62>
>   <http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=8521&GroupID=62>Belkin

We have this one here (except it's a FR version -- I don't know if
there's any difference). The previous one lasted 15 months (probably
a hardware problem in the switch -- Wifi was still working) and we
replaced it yesterday, still by a WAG54G (which now has an ON/OFF
button). We don't need to use advanced firewall. So, for a basic
use, it's OK. However, the wifi part is not perfect: the wifi
connection is bad or impossible in some rooms of the house (but
I don't know what there is in the walls, and I couldn't compare
with other wireless router modems).

At home, I have a Netopia Cayman 3347WEU. The wifi part seems to be
quite good: I can even reach my network from the bus stop (I'd say
a little more than 100m, with a few obstacles). But each time the
ADSL connection has to be restarted (in my case, every week, or less
often), I lose all my ssh connections. I didn't have that problem
with my previous router.