Bitstream Vera + XTerm

On a machine on which I had installed from ISOs generated from a Sarge
snapshot (23rd March, 2005), XTerm used the Bitstream Vera Mono font,
and it looked wonderful. The system used XFree86.

Now, on another machine, I have an up-to-date unstable system. While
all major apps (KDE+GNOME, Mozilla Firefox etc.) show the fonts pretty
well, I am unable to get the Bitstream fonts on my XTerm. Even on
Konsole, I see the right font in the preview, but when I select it,
the font in the konsole doesn't change.

What could be the problem?

Thanks.

Kumar