Re: apache-modconf to disable apache_ssl and enable mod_ssl

answer my own question for the search engines.

Yes it works fine.  apache-sslctl blacklists mod_ssl and doesn't allow
it to be added to /etc/apache-ssl/modules.conf via the apache-modconf
mechanism (lame).  Copy modules.conf to modules.conf.custom.  change the
Include in your httpd.conf to use modules.conf.custom instead.  Edit
modules.conf.custom and remove the line:

LoadModule apache_ssl_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/libssl.so

replace it with:

LoadModule ssl_module /usr/lib/apache/1.3/mod_ssl.so

.. also note that the various SSL directives for Apache-SSL are
different than the ones used for mod_ssl.

This isn't fool proof of course but it'll work and won't break your
apache-* packages quite as badly.