Re: smtp authentication with exim4

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 11:03:21AM +0300 or thereabouts, Micha Feigin wrote:
> How do I make exim4 authenticate itself to the smarthost?
>
> I added a line to password.conf in the form
>
> smarthost:user:pass
>
> but when I try to send mail I get a reply from the smarthost that relaying is
> denied and I should use smtp authentication

Hello Micha:

I'm using a monolithic config and have the following in my 'exim4.conf' for
authentication at my Smarthost;

    # This transport is used for delivering messages over SMTP connections.

    remote_smtp:
    #!!# authenticate_hosts renamed hosts_try_auth
    driver = smtp
    hosts_try_auth = smtp.broadband.rogers.com
    #authenticate_hosts = smarthost.isp.com

    # To use SMTP AUTH when sending to a particular host, such as your ISPs
    # smarthost, uncomment and edit the above line, and also the example
    # client-side authenticators at the bottom of the file

And the following immediately below it;

    begin authenticators

  plain:
   driver = plaintext