Re: From what point on does Logger work? Can I start it earlier?

Ralph Katz wrote:
On 08/11/2005 01:00 PM, Brian wrote:

Hi,
subject says it all. I would like to know what exactly "Logger" depends
on, and from what point in the boot process it is usable?

I assume it needs klogd to be running, which is started by RC on my
system 2.6.10 Kernel Sarge.

Any way I can start to write things earlier than that, or start klogd
earlier?

Cheers Brian

Logger?  What is that?  There are many logs in /var/log/, these may help:
/var/log/dmesg
/var/log/boot

Edit /etc/default/bootlogd to enable bootlog.

Also, check Analyzing boot performance with bootchart:

Regards,
Ralph

Ralph,

logger is a small programm that allows scrips to write to the syslog.

example in a script:

logger "this is the text"

I have just been playing with bootchart, its pretty nice. I do not know
bootlogd yet, but I'll try it.

Thanks.